10 Steps to Health Eating – Active Living
1. Eat at least 2 cups of fruit and 2½ cups of vegetables every day.
2. Choose whole grain brown or multi-grain rice instead of white rice. Brown rice is high in fiber!
3. Cut out pop and high-sugar drinks. Offer water instead or try low-fat milk.
4. Avoid using food as a reward or as a punishment. An example would be buying your child fast food if they are well behaved.
5. Make healthy foods the easiest choice by having them in the fridge and cupboards. For example, use olive oil or low-sodium sauces.
6. Avoid too much fast food during the week. It may be fast and easy, but very unhealthy and high in fat and sodium.
7. Limit the amount of time for TV, computer, video games, and smart phones. Get active!
8. Plan sports or other family activities by using the trails, bike paths, playgrounds, community centers, and sport fields.
9. Children and adolescents should do 60 minutes (1 hour) or more of physical activity each day.
10. Adults should do 150 minutes each week (30 minutes a day for 5 days) to be healthy.